Saturday 14 July 2012

dear bloomberg business week

my friend is trying to decide if she should send this to bloomberg.   she is afraid she might be excommunicated if she shares these concerns publically.  she thought it might feel good to test the waters here and see if there was support for this idea.

so ... do you agree that we should ask the church to make a full accounting of the finances of the church?  should an independent auditing firm be aloud to determine how much money the church has, where it comes from, where it goes, and how things are decided.  is that something that only a few should know, or should the whole body know?  i think that is her primary question... but she doesn't feel like she has permission to ask.

she doesn't have permission to ask, but i dont' think you need permission do you?



As a Mormon artist and housewife, I thought I'd drop in my two cents on your recent cover.  

I have to tell you that at first I found the illustration you chose quite shocking.  I felt repulsed and like I was looking at something an angry teenage kid from my hometown would make.  I went deep into some classic art-snobbery to hate on it; and at the same time I had to stop myself and wonder-- is shock not the feeling what they were going for?

That is the beauty of art --- it makes us think on a different level.  (though i wish you would have asked one of these artists for a mock-up too....)  Thank you for being good investigative journalists.  

I'd be a liar if I didn't say I was concerned by what you found-- and that I'd really love for my church to open up their bank accounts and let all of the members of the church see what is going on.  We are all shareholders, aren't we? 

One of our own scriptures states that "...all things shall be done by common consent in the church" (Doctrine & Covenants 26:2).  Why not follow through on that? 

 Only the truth will set you free.

Sister/Elder P
Artist, "housewife", onetime missionary, and continuing Mormon





it should be noted, the original art was done by a devout mormon.  a man who immigrated from denmark to the US because of his faith. (see: The Mormon behind the Bloomberg cover via Deseret News)



should s/he push send?
what do you think? 

No comments: