From where i'm looking, its totally plausible.
Orthodox Christianity and Mormonism believe that nothing since the very day of creation itself, will have more impact than when Christ "comes again". Since the world was created ... not sliced bread, not microwaves, not even the birth of Jesus, but way back to before there was an earth or animals or plants. Remember how that was nothing ... and how that got changed? There will be a change that is that significant. Its when Christ returns. From this perspective, once Jesus comes again peace and happiness will reign.
Problem is, according to the same sources, he is not able to come again until a number of horrible occurring first. Which creates a weird "Catch 22", in fact even an environment of schadenfreuder as each travesty in the middle each is an inch closer to the blessed day.
Would the world be more peaceful world if the book of Revelations and these predictions of calamity were not in the Bible?
From a Facebook exchange:
peace is posible but not in this life. Mosiah 3:19 For the natural man is an enemy to God... it is in mans nature to be angry, want as many women as possible, greedy, and selfish. that is what this life is about. overcoming our natural man. if it wasnt we wouldnt need laws. i long for peace, my heart breaks that we have such a short time in this life and people waste it fighting and so many children grow up without a childhood and are taught to hate others. but i must be realistic. every ward has members who dont go to church because they dont like other mormons in their ward. if we cant even get along in amerca when we are in the same church how will the middle east come together? there has always been wars and as long as there are 2 or more people on the earth there will be wars.
not leading with fear, leading with reality
This long range, not in this lifetime, perspective has impact on American foreign policy. If negotiators hold this view point, where will/can we end up?
We need to be sure to employ only negotiators that believe in peace. New and improved litmus test for the 21st Century: 'do you believe that peace is possible'?
If we don't ask the question, and continue to let the Mormons, Conservative Christians and Zionists who do not believe in peace, form our foreign policy, this is where they might take us:
- "The greatest war, slaughter, carnage, bloodshed, and desolation for all ages will be in full swing at the very hour when Christ returns. ... All nations of the Earth shall be gathered at Jerusalem at Armageddon, in the valley of Jeshaphat, the valley of decision. It will be 'a day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of think darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains'. The hosts of Gog and Magog, the armies assembled to battle, shall be 'a great people and a strong; there hath not been eve the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations. A fire devoureth before them, and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them and desolate wilderness; yea and nothing share escape them" -- McConkie
- For the wicked descriptive words for this day include: sorrow, dreadful, desolation, burning, vengeance, 'judgment which the wicked shall not abide'.
- Christ will be in red and the costume is stunning! 'Like him that treadeth in a wine-vat'. Which is often interpreted as symbolic of all the blood. "And his voice shall be heard: I have trodden the winepress alone, and have brought judgement upon all people; and none were with me; An I have trampled them in my fury, and I did tread upon them in mine anger, and their blood have I sprinkled upon my garments, and stained all my raiment; for this was the day of vengeance which was in my heart (see D&C 133:41-51)
- When Jesus comes again, he will judge the nations and will divide the righteous from the wicked (see Matthew 25:31-46). "I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God . . . and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years." The wicked he saw "lived not again until the thousand years were finished" (Revelation 20:4-5).
We will get what we aim for.
Peace will prevail, eventually. I hope it is soon. I chose peace. I hope others will too. We can get there, but it will just require the meek to walk in boldness without weapons and in peace. Which means it will take a whole lot of us.
May we walk on!
May we walk on!
some of the back-up from scriptures if your interested
- John 14:2-3; Matthew 26:64 (Jesus to prepare a place and come again)
- Malachi 3:2-3; 4:1; D&C 64:23-25 (earth to be burned)
- D&C 133:41-51 (wicked to be destroyed)
- Matthew 13:40-43 (the Judgment predicted)
- Romans 2:6-9; Revelation 20:12-13 (the Judgment)
- 1 Corinthians 15:40-42; D&C 78; 88:17-35 (degrees of glory)
- 2 Corinthians 12:2 (a man was caught up to the third heaven)
- D&C 43:29-30; 29:11 (the Savior's coming will usher in the Millennium)
- Articles of Faith 1:10 (Jesus to reign)
- Alma 11:43-44; Alma 40 (the Resurrection explained)
- Helaman 14:25 (the dead to rise)
- Zechariah 14:9; Revelation 11:15; 1 Nephi 22:24-26 (Jesus to reign as King)